Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day shift @ the Series = nizzles

Alright, so I've dealt 5 shifts at the 2009 World Series of Poker. I really don't have any complaints and it has been cake so far. Doing 8 downs (one 30 minute session in the box while dealing) in a row can be draining and regardless of the shape you are in, it will take its toll on your body. I'll take what I can get though in terms of tournament downs. I dread working the ca$h games over there, unless it is 2/5 NL. We as day shift dealers almost always get assigned to tournaments which is exactly what I want.

I have dealt no limit tournaments every day other than the first day where I dealt the $1,500 Omaha Eight-or-better Limit Tournament. The only 'famous' person that I dealt to was Todd Brunson, and just like you'd expect, he wasn't very friendly. I didn't have any problems with him other than him correcting me on 4 or 5 times on 8/b procedure. I hadn't dealt this game for an entire year, so I expected to be a bit rusty with it.

Like every year, a bunch of people are in town that I have met over the past few years. My good friend Bobby Crosby (www.plusev.net http://marryme.keenspot.com http://dreamless.keenspot.com) came out to play a few events. We went out to San Francisco a few months ago where I helped him out at a convention and I highly recommend you check out his comics. I don't even like comics (either does he) but his work is both entertaining and extremely catchy. He's a very talented writer who never gives himself enough credit.

I also met and hung out with another OT'er, jtown1010. He came by the house after Chad bubbled the 40K (sigh) and shot some pool, then we went down the road to Cheers and had a good time getting owned at video blackjack and just exchanging stories.

A big congrats to Thang Luu for winning the Omaha 8/b Event.....TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Absolutely amazing. I don't know the guy, but even more impressive is the fact that he took either 2nd or 3rd the year before that. That has to be in the top 3 impressive feats in WSOP history.

A quick list of people I have dealt to this year that you may or may not know:

Todd Brunson (no fun to deal to at all)
Chau Giang
Allyn Jaffrey Shulman (sweet lady and very attractive as well, esp. for her age)
Dario Minari (looks like he's 18 but the kid is very polite and seems to have a great attitude)
Daniel Negreanu (one of my favorites but unfortunately he was pretty quiet while I was there)

For those of you that followed the blog last year...you know about my encounter with Men "The Master" Nguyen. Well, I almost dealt to him again yesterday, but somehow avoided that disaster. It was the $1,500 6-max event which I am very good at, so I doubt there would have been any problems with him had he been at my table. Maybe later on this Series I will get that honor...

I haven't had to work more than 5.5 hours at TI which has enabled me to get a fair amount of sleep in between pulling these double shifts. The planets have aligned and tomorrow is a day off of both jobs. If given the opportunity, I will get out early tonight at TI and go out with some friends. Otherwise, I'll pick back up after dealing this weekend.

GG

No comments: