Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Order me a double in our poker room

Someone I know is bound to win a bracelet this year. Paul Peterson came close finishing 2nd in Event #1. Jamie 'pokerjamers' Armstrong made a huge run the the $1K Stimulus event but fell short when his AQ was outdrawn by A9 in a blind vs. blind situation to bust in 16th of over 6K entrants. I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been for jamers. GG bro, keep up the excellent play.

With everything that is going on at the World Series, we have been informed of some very important changes in our own poker room at Treasure Island. Congratulations to Chris Coffin, our Poker Room Manager who has been offered the same position over at The Mirage. To have someone other than Chris running our room is going to be strange. Phil Ruffin recently purchased Treasure Island from MGM Mirage, and it appears that he is going to be a great leader for us. Here is an informative artice regarding some of his plans with his new purchase, which also includes doubling the size of our poker room: http://bit.ly/F9sz6

Back to the WSOP: It has has been very busy over there and the numbers of registrants for the tournaments has reached record-breaking levels. On Saturday, I got to deal the 5K No Limit Event and there were quite a few faces to be recognized. My friend Steve Gross (gboro780 on Stars and the #1 ranked online tournament player in the world) was at the first table of the day. Steve is one of the nicest guys in poker and also one of the best guys to go out and party with. #1 class act all the way.

At the next table was Mark Seif who is known for his association with Absolute Poker, an online site that created quite a stir with a cheating scandal. Many have questioned Mark's involvement, or non-involvement, with this situation. Greg 'FossilMan' Raymer was also there at the table and he is always excellent to deal to...the guy is great for poker and always treats everyone with respect. When I left that table, I mentioned to him that even though he busted my roommate from the 40K event, he was still one of my favorites.

Others that I dealt to that day:

Kelly Kim (final tabled the Main Event last year)
Jeff 'ActionJeff' Garza
Kathy Leibert
Roy Winston
Scott Lazar (LoL)

Here is a hand that I found rather intersting that came up between ActionJeff and Kathy Leibert. I believe it was at the 50/100 level. Jeff was in seat 3 and in late position while Kathy was in the big blind. Jeff started the hand with around 25K and made a standard raise to around 3x the BB and Scott Lazar flat-called. Kathy re-raised from the BB approximately another 3x on top of Jeff's original raise. Jeff called, and Scott folded.

The flop came K7x and both players checked. The turn was a blank and Kathy bet out 4K. Jeff tanked and ended up calling. The river was a 7 and Kathy immediately fired a bet of around 9K. She didn't have too many chips behind at that point...so what could Jeff possibly put her on here? He really thought about this for a long time and ended up calling. Kathy showed KK for the full house and Jeff, although I am not sure why, showed JJ and mucked. I guess Jeff was convinced that she had AQ, TT, 99, or 88.

I had a few more shifts at both jobs that have gone well. I finally got sent over to the live section and even dealt one satellite. I had to deal Pot Limit Omaha which I was dreading, but it turned out to be alright. I only have one shift today...tonight at Treasure Island so I have to go run a bunch of errands during the day.

We got approved by a Surety Company which will allow us to write bail bonds in the State of Nevada! Its now time to get all of the paperwork processed so I can begin that venture. I'll be back in a few days with more updates, bad beat stories, and random rants.

No comments: